The Codex Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Codex Project

Public input in an atempt to make better Codexes for Warhammer 40, 000

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Eldar Fandex

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Herald of the Lost
1st Member

My Eldar Fandex Empty
PostSubject: My Eldar Fandex   My Eldar Fandex EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 4:12 pm

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. This is a major rehaul of the Eldar army. Please note that I am not interested in merely fixing problems of the existing codex. My efforts here are to make the army competitive and emulate the background more than the current book allows. This first post will include Headquarters and Elites, and future posts will have the rest.

Just so you know, here's my FOC organization.
- HQ: Farseer, Autarch, Warseer, Spiritseer, Exarch for each Aspect

- Elites: Dire Avenger Squad; Howling Banshee Squad; Striking Scorpion Squad; Wraithknight Squad; Harlequi Squad; Ranger Squad; Bonesingers; Warlock Squad

- Troops: Guardian Defender Squad; Guardian Storm Squad (iffy about having them at all)

- Fast Attack: Guardian Jetbike Squad; Vyper Squadron; Swooping Hawk Squad; Warp Spider Squad; Shining Spear Squad; Falcon; Night Spinner

- Heavy Support: Fire Prism; Nightwing; Dark Reaper Squad; Fire Dragon Squad; Wraithguard; Wraithlord; Avatar of Khaine

Special Rules:
  • Grace of the Asur: Move Through Cover or Skilled Rider; extra D6 when running and you choose which roll to use (replaces Fleet on most units)
  • Master Psyker: You may roll 3D6 for psychic tests for a unit with this rule and choose which two rolls to apply.

Headquarters:
  • Farseer
    • WS-4; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-3; I-4; A-2; Ld-10
    • Grace of the Asur; Master Psyker
    • Divinations: Allows you to Seize the Initiative on a roll of 5+
    • Can take Singing Spear (Counts as normal witchblade with existing ranged attack, not two-handed)
    • Can take Runes of Destruction (re-roll failed to wound rolls for psychic powers)
    • Can take Runes of Harmony: All psychic powers that are used or targeting anywhere within 12” of the Farseer roll 3D6 for test and use all three rolls
    • Can take Runes of Warding: Confers 4+ invulnerable save to any unit Farseer has joined
  • Autarch
    • WS-5; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-3; I-5; A-3; Ld-10
    • Grace of the Asur
    • Master Strategist: You may add 1 to any roll for Reserves or for table edge for an outflanking unit
    • Can take Chainsaber, Power Weapon, Witchblade, Singing Spear, or Wraithblade
    • Can take Shuriken Catapult, Avenger Catapult, Lasblaster, Fusion Gun, Laser Lance, Death Spinner
    • Can take Banshee Mask, Mandiblaster, or Reaper Mask
    • Can take Warp Jump Generator, Hawk Wings, or Eldar Jetbike
    • Can take Force Shield
  • Warseer
    • WS-5; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-5; A-3; Ld-10
    • Can take Singing Spear (Counts as normal witchblade with existing ranged attack, not two-handed)
    • Can take Runes of Destruction (re-roll failed to wound rolls for psychic powers)
    • Can take Runes of Warding: Confers 4+ invulnerable save to any unit Warseer has joined
  • Spiritseer
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-4; A-2; Ld-10
    • Guardian of the Fallen: Wraithknights and Wraithguard become Troops choices. Wraithlords may be taken as Elites and/or Heavy Support.
  • Dire Avenger Exarch
    • WS-6; BS-6; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-6; A-3; Ld-10
    • Can take a second Avenger Catapult and can fire both or can take an Executioner or Diresword
      • Executioner: Power Weapon that strikes a +2 Strength
      • Diresword: Power weapon that never requires worse than a 4+ to wound and causes Instant Death on a roll of 6 to wound
      • Dual Catapults: Rapid Fire, both fired at same target, twin-linked
    • Can take a Force Shield (4+ invulnerable save, upgrades Shimmershields in same unit to 4+)
  • Howling Banshee Exarch
    • WS-6; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-7; A-3; Ld-10
    • Can take an Executioner or Mirrorswords
      • Executioner: Power Weapon that strikes a +2 Strength
      • Mirrorswords: Pair of power weapons that re-roll all failed to hit and to wound rolls
    • Can take a Triskele (as now, Strength 4)
  • Striking Scorpion Exarch
    • WS-6; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-6; A-4; Ld-10
    • Can take a Biting Blade or a Scorpion’s Claw
      • Biting Blade: Chainsaber that strikes at +2 Strength and re-rolls failed to wound rolls
      • Scorpion’s Claw: Power weapon that re-rolls failed to wound rolls
    • Can Vambrace Catapults (+1 Attack in CC, re-roll to hit and to wound rolls with Shuriken Pistol shots)
  • Swooping Hawk Exarch
    • WS-5; BS-6; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-7; A-3; Ld-10
    • Can take a Hawk’s Talon or a Sun Rifle
      • Hawk’s Talon: Rng-24”; Str-5; AP-4; Assault 4
      • Sun Rifle: Rng-24”; Str-6; AP-2; Type: Assault 2
    • Can a Power Weapon
  • Warp Spider Exarch
    • WS-6; BS-6; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-6; A-3; Ld-10
    • Can take a Spinneret Rifle or a second Deathspinner
      • Spinneret Rifle: Rng-18”; Str-7; AP-1; Assault 1, Rending, Pinning
      • Dual Deathspinners: Assault 4, twin-linked
    • Can take power blades (pair of power weapons)
  • Shining Spear Exarch
    • WS-6; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-7; A-3; Ld-10
    • Can take a Star Lance or a Bright Lance
      • Star Lance: On the charge, the wielder’s attacks are Strength 8, AP 2, Lance
      • Bright Lance: Rng-24”; Str: 8; AP: 2; Heavy 1, Lance
    • Can a Power Weapon
  • Dark Reaper Exarch
    • WS-5; BS-6; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-6; A-2; Ld-10
    • Can take a Tempest Launcher, an Eldar Missile Launcher, or a Shrieker Cannon
      • Tempest Launcher: Rng-48”; Str-5; AP-4; Heavy 2, Blast
      • Eldar Missile Launcher: Rng-48”; Str-9(4); AP-3(4); Type: Heavy 1, (Blast, Pinning)
      • Shrieker Cannon: Rng-36”; Str-5; AP-4; Assault 4, Pinning, Poisoned (4+)
  • Fire Dragon Exarch
    • Can take a Fire Pike or a Fire Axe
      • Firepike: Rng-24”; Str-8; AP-1; Assault 1, Melta, Lance
      • Fire Axe:
    • Can take Dragon’s Breath in addition to other wargear (Rng: Template; Str: 6; AP: 4; Assault 1; counts as defensive grenades)

Elites:
  • Dire Avenger Squad
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-4; A-1; Ld-8 (Avenger)
    • WS-5; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-9 (Veteran Avenger)
    • Grace of the Asur; Counter Attack; Relentless
    • Avenger Catapult; Shuriken Pistol; Aspect Armor; Shimmershields; Plasma Grenades; Haywire Grenades
      • Avenger Catapults: Rng: 30”; Str: 4; AP: 4; Rapid Fire
      • Shimmershields: 5+ invulnerable save
    • Veteran can take a Power Weapon in addition to his other wargear
  • Howling Banshee Squad
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-5; A-1; Ld-8 (Banshee)
    • WS-5; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-6; A-2; Ld-9 (Veteran Banshee)
    • Grace of the Asur; Fleet
    • Power Weapons; Shuriken Pistols; Aspect Armor; Banshee Masks; Plasma Grenades; Haywire Grenades
      • Banshee Masks: Banshees may re-roll failed to hit rolls on the turn they assault and strike at normal initiative in cover
    • Veteran can take a Triskele (As now, Strength 4)
  • Striking Scorpion Squad
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Scorpion)
    • WS-5; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-6; A-2; Ld-9 (Veteran Scorpion)
    • Grace of the Asur; Infiltrate
    • Chainsabers; Shuriken Pistols; Aspect Armor; Mandiblasters; Plasma Grenades; Haywire Grenades
      • Chainsabers: Rending cc attacks
      • Mandiblasters: +1 Attack
    • Veteran can take Vambrace Catapults (+1 Attack, re-roll failed to hit and to wound rolls with shuriken pistol shots)
  • Wraithknight Squad
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-5; T-6; W-2; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Wraithknight)
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-4; A-1; Ld-9 (Spiritsinger)
    • Grace of the Asur, Feel No Pain
    • Wraithsight- Unit has Slow and Purposeful, replaced by Relentless if there is a psyker joined to the unit or within 6”
    • Wraithblades: Power Weapons that do not require worse than a 4+ to wound
  • Ranger Squad
    • WS-3; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-4; A-1; Ld-8 (Ranger)
    • WS-4; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-9 (Pathfinder)
    • Infiltrate, Stealth
    • Pathfinder- Character upgrade, allows you to choose which table edge unit arrives from when outflanking
    • Ranger Long Rifles: Rng-48”; S: 4; AP: 4; Heavy 1, Sniper
  • Harlequin Squad
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-8 (Harlequin)
    • WS-4; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-8 (Death Jester)
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-9 (Shadowsinger)
    • WS-7; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-7; A-3; Ld-8 (Solitaire)
    • WS-5; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-6; A-3; Ld-9 (Troupe Master)
    • Grace of the Asur, Fleet, Hit & Run, Furious Charge
      • Veil of Tears: Shadowsinger allows unit to Infiltrate and forces all shooting at its unit to use Night Fighting rules
      • Soulless: Solitaire makes the unit immune to psychic powers without a given strength value
      • Dance of Death: Death Jester makes any morale check caused by the unit is taken with a -2 Leadership penalty
      • Hand of the Laughing God: Troupe Master allows you to choose which table edge the unit arrives from when outflanking
    • Shuriken Pistols, Close Combat Weapons, Holo-suits, Plasma Grenades, Haywire Grenades
    • Any model can take Harlequin’s Kiss (Rending, rending wound causes Instant Death)
    • Troupe Master and Solitaire can take power weapon, kiss, and/or fusion pistols
  • Bonesingers
    • WS-3; BS-3; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-4; A-1; Ld-8
    • 1-3 per slot
    • Independent Character
    • Song of the Wraithbone: psychic power that allows Bonesinger to repair vehicles like a techmarine with a range of 6” or heal Wraithguard, Wraithlords, and Wraithknights
  • Warlock Squad
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-9
    • Grace of the Asur; Counter Attack; Relentless
    • Witchblades, Shuriken Pistols, Rune Armor, Ghost Helms, Plasma Grenades, Haywire Grenades
    • Each Warlock takes a psychic power

Back to top Go down
Dwane Diblie
Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe

My Eldar Fandex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Fandex   My Eldar Fandex EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:54 pm

Herald of the Lost wrote:
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. This is a major rehaul of the Eldar army. Please note that I am not interested in merely fixing problems of the existing codex. My efforts here are to make the army competitive and emulate the background more than the current book allows. This first post will include Headquarters and Elites, and future posts will have the rest.

Definatly the right place Smile

- Troops: Guardian Defender Squad; Guardian Storm Squad (iffy about having them at all)

I would not force everyone to take guardians as your only troops. I do feel that dire avengers at the least should stay here. Put a limit on them if you want though.

• Farseer
    • WS-4; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-3; I-4; A-2; Ld-10
    • Divinations: Allows you to Seize the Initiative on a roll of 5+
    • Can take Runes of Harmony: All psychic powers that are used or targeting anywhere within 12” of the Farseer roll 3D6 for test and use all three rolls
    • Can take Runes of Warding: Confers 4+ invulnerable save to any unit Farseer has joined

I would like to see a return to the somthing similar to the 3ed ed codex reguarding Farseers statline (not so much their rules). I would also like to see Farseers of different ages. Older is more powerful but less combat effective. So Expanding on your ideas above. Create 3 ages for farseers with 3 slightly diferent statlines.

First Age Farseer Weapon Skill 5Balistic Skill 5Strength 3Toughness 3Wounds 3Initiative 5Attacks 2Leadership 10

Second Age Farseer Weapon Skill 4Balistic Skill 5Strength 3Toughness 4Wounds 3Initiative 4Attacks 1Leadership 10

Third Age Farseer Weapon Skill 3Balistic Skill 4Strength 3Toughness 5Wounds 4Initiative 3Attacks 1Leadership 10

A first age can cst 1 power a turn, second age 2 and third age 3.

Are the Runes of Harmony supose to replace the current runes of warding? The way they are written above implys that all powers friend and foe are cast using 3d6 added togeather. I am assuming that is not the intention? Also why Harmony? Sounds Like it is ment to be a positiave thing giving bonus to eldar to me.

I do like that you think along the same lines as me in that there are several aspects to being a psyker. (did you know that Warlocks where originaly an Aspect Warrior and compleatly seperated from farseers?) I like the Warseer statline but I am not sure the spiritseer should have A-2. They are more caretakers than warriors in my oppinion and shouldn't be much better than a guardian, statline wise.

Exarchs:
I am not sure if a Dire avenger Exarch should have an Executioner, but I do like it.
Is the Striking Scorpion Exarchs extra attack inclusive of the mandiblaster? Same question for the Squad also?
I liked the mass firepower of the current sunrifle. But I would not grumble about adding a star rifle (your Sun Rifle) in to the mix. And that is such a better name than my Star Gun I came up with earlier. Very Happy
[quote="Herald of the Lost"]
  • Dark Reaper Exarch
    • Can take a Tempest Launcher, an Eldar Missile Launcher, or a Shrieker Cannon
      • Tempest Launcher: Rng-48”; Str-5; AP-4; Heavy 2, Blast
      • Eldar Missile Launcher: Rng-48”; Str-9(4); AP-3(4); Type: Heavy 1, (Blast, Pinning)
      • Shrieker Cannon: Rng-36”; Str-5; AP-4; Assault 4, Pinning, Poisoned (4+)
[/qupte]
I realy do not feel nor have I ever felt that it was ever right for dark reapers to have access to Shuriken Cannons. (or even Shrieker Cannons as you have here) Dark Reapers need to go back to 2nd ed consepts of longrange tank sniping and heavy armour demolition. Maugan Ra was never realy a Dark Reaper. He is just the sole survivor of his Aspect Shrine. Now I would not mind working on an aspect squad for him. Somthing along the lines of Shuriken Cannons with Power Weapon on front. I am thinking 4+ armour. A slightly cheaper HS aspect than Dark Reapers and a 0-1 choice to represent rarity. But Remove Shuriken Cannons form Dark Reaper units and make the Raper Launsher and Reaper Helmet somthing better at taking on vehicles of atleast armour 12. It anoys me doo much that they struggle with a Dark Eldar Ravager. But I can also understand leaving the Landraiders and Battle tanks inthe hands of Fire Dragons.

Speaking of Fire Dragons. Bring back the blast for the Fire Pike? Too much?

• Ranger Squad
    • WS-3; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-4; A-1; Ld-8 (Ranger)
    • WS-4; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-9 (Pathfinder)
    • Infiltrate, Stealth
    • Pathfinder- Character upgrade, allows you to choose which table edge unit arrives from when outflanking
    • Ranger Long Rifles: Rng-48”; S: 4; AP: 4; Heavy 1, Sniper

Is the Pathfinder a "sargent" or are you keeping them as a seperate unit? Alternatly 1-3 individuals as a choise.

• Harlequin Squad
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-8 (Harlequin)
    • WS-4; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-8 (Death Jester)
    • WS-4; BS-4; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-9 (Shadowsinger)
    • WS-7; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-7; A-3; Ld-8 (Solitaire)
    • WS-5; BS-5; S-3; T-3; W-1; I-6; A-3; Ld-9 (Troupe Master)
    • Grace of the Asur, Fleet, Hit & Run, Furious Charge
      • Veil of Tears: Shadowsinger allows unit to Infiltrate and forces all shooting at its unit to use Night Fighting rules
      • Soulless: Solitaire makes the unit immune to psychic powers without a given strength value
      • Dance of Death: Death Jester makes any morale check caused by the unit is taken with a -2 Leadership penalty
      • Hand of the Laughing God: Troupe Master allows you to choose which table edge the unit arrives from when outflanking
    • Shuriken Pistols, Close Combat Weapons, Holo-suits, Plasma Grenades, Haywire Grenades
    • Any model can take Harlequin’s Kiss (Rending, rending wound causes Instant Death)
    • Troupe Master and Solitaire can take power weapon, kiss, and/or fusion pistols

Solitar in the unit. I would love to see you explain that one. It is soo hard to incorperate a solitare in to the game as they are supose to be a powerhouse and is almost always too much for anything apart from an apocolypse game. I would like to consider options to include it though. And I am thinking restictions to taking him in high pointed games only.

I would also like to see the return of the Avatar of th Laughung God. Maybe restricted to a Harliquan only codex?

All in all I like where it is going. Going to be interesting to see what you have in mind for powers. I have to dig up my old (3ed ed) fandex I wrote. I still think alot of it is still valid.
Back to top Go down
Col. Tartleton
Novice Scribe
Novice Scribe
Col. Tartleton

My Eldar Fandex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Fandex   My Eldar Fandex EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 9:01 am

My idea for Eldar due to their emphasis on these really elite killers (Autarchs, Farseers, Exarchs, etc) is that you should buy the Exarch then add his squad as a retinue. I feel like you should be able to take an Exarch as a single model tooled through the nose who can fight squads by himself or have a group of followers to synergize with. Plus it means you can use classic lone ninja logic. Then Pheonix Lords would be HQ equivalents which can take a group of elite followers which are basically Exarchs in training. It allows you to make a bit more variety in the force.

I have this idea of a Phoenix Lord making his aspect Troops then the force being a task force of sorts from the Aspect. If you take Maugan Ra as an HQ pick you get a squad of basic Exarchs for his command squad plus up to six Exarchs with their own retinues. I don't think an Armory is necessary anymore, but I think retinues were a good feature for some armies at least. I just think that's the sort of feature that makes 40k feel fantastic. Mighty heroes with a few good men at their back.

For example if we're talking Dark Reapers:

Dark Reaper Exarch

WS-5; BS-6; S-3; T-3; W-2; I-6; A-2; Ld-10

Weapons:
Reaper Launcher [R48 S7 Ap3 Heavy 2]
or a Tempest Launcher [R48 S5 Ap2 Heavy 2, Blast]
or a Missile Launcher [R48 S7 Ap3 Heavy 1, Blast]
and an Executioner [S6 Power Weapon]
or a Web of Skulls [S3 Powerweapon/ R18 S3 Ap1 Assault 3, Rending]

Wargear:
Wraithshield [5+ Invulnerable Save Squad]
Specter Helm [Re-roll to Wound with shooting]
Ghost Armor [2+ Armor Save]

Reaper Styles:
Bleeding Scythe [Squad gains Relentless]
and Crimson Bloom [Squad gains Tank Hunters]
or Hellwind Staves [Squad adds +1 to ranged shots]

Special Rules:
Fleet
Acute Senses

Then he can take up to four Reapers with Reaper Launchers.

Then you have Maugan Ra who is on a whole different level of stupid awesome:

Maugan Ra

WS-6; BS-7; S-4; T-4; W-3; I-7; A-4/5; Ld-10

Weapons:
Maugetar [S6 Power Weapon/R48 S6 Ap1 Heavy 4]
Shuriken Pistol

Wargear:
Specter Helm
Wraithshield
Ghost Armor

Reaper Styles:
Bleeding Scythe, Crimson Bloom, Hellwind Staves, and Fear the Reaper [Units wounded by Maugan Ra are pinned on a 4+]

Special Rules:
Fleet
Acute Senses
Fearless
Eternal Warrior

Pumps out 5 S6 Ap1 shots which chew through pretty much anything thanks to tank hunters. He can glance AV 13 and penetrate AV12 with a shuriken catapult... he's just that guy. Then in close combat his scythe can bust open tanks (again, glance 13, penetrate 12) or just sock it to anything less intimidating. So basically no matter what happens he should kill a vehicle or five models every time he gets angry. So as target #1 he's going to need his 2+, 5++, and Eternal Warrior.

In his defense he is the most bad ass Eldar/ only Bad Ass Eldar. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Eldar Fandex Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar Fandex   My Eldar Fandex Empty

Back to top Go down

My Eldar Fandex
Page 1 of 1